RCU Forums - View Single Post - mono-coat
Thread: mono-coat
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 07:05 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I just slip the stab in to about 1/2" to one side of its correct position in the slot. Apply a bead of epoxy to the STAB portion of the half that matches the fuselage side it sits... both top and bottom.. THEN... slide the stab in... about 1/4"-3/8" PAST its position... so you have that much hanging out the other side... now.. put a bead of epoxy(30min) there.. and top and bottom... At that point you only have about 1/4" to move the stab to final position. So just slip it in there.

After that... lay a fillet of epoxy both sides, top and bottom... For clean-up.. (yes..minor..).. Have a paper towel and some alcohol(denatured is preferred but isopropyl will work too..) .. epoxy will wipe off and be undetectable.. best to have a good light you can reflect from...its easy to see that way...

For the fillets..(I do those after the initial epoxy sets up.. as once you have your component in position you don't want to disturb it)... use straight 30min epoxy, using a popsicle stick(or something close).. dab a small bead of epoxy right into the joint.... dab some alcohol on a paper towel, rub that on your finger... and wipe the bead. There might be some residual epoxy that you'll pick up with the finger.. so have an old newspaper, or something to wipe your finger off... Thats it. simple simple and strong.
Definately use 30min epoxy... its the best for this application... and you have at least 20-25min(depending on climate) of good working time to baby sit your stab, and make sure in doesn't shift.

I've done dozens of these types of aerobats.. another cool thing on them is if your vert.stab goes on after the hor.stab... sometimes you can carefully dab epoxy to the inside of the hor.stab area..Not really necessary on a smaller plane.. as there sometimes isn't room... but a bigger plane affords more room and options... and does benefit from the extra glue.
The fillets can be done on precovered components, its very important though that the actual joint/mating is WOOD to WOOD..as much as you can. I hope this helps and makes sense. Good luck.

Last edited by DGrant; 01-11-2015 at 07:09 PM.