RCU Forums - View Single Post - BJ CRAFT new plane Invitation...
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 07:45 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTK
Sungho,

Please make certain that you use a pipe on the GT33. The ES Composites 35G carbon pipe is highly recommended. It's the lightest pipe (around 100 grams) available. You will also need a return to center header from Hatori, # 2301 (also used on other 30cc engines).

I have not used the new OS glow plug for gasoline. I have seen the GT15 engine run on the new glow plug and it seemed to run and idle well, with minimal transition issues. There are several key unknowns with the new glow plug, key amongthem how long it will last, how it transitions longer term, etc.

The ignition module and spark plug is well known and well wrung out. I am still using the original CM6 plug on my number 1 GT33 after some 130 hours of operation. The extra 4 ounces for the module and plug is not a problem on the current crop of models. They are light enough. The other thing that is a known with ignition, the engine can be tuned perfectly to sip gasoline. I fly with a 330 cc tank for 20 minutes (pisses off the electric guys so I tend to tone that down occasionally). A 200 cc tank will easily fly a single schedule

Sure the GT33 is a bit more powerful than the DLE35RA but the 35RA has plenty of power for an 11 pound airplane. It doesn't turn as large a prop though. The GT33 easily turns an apc 20.5x10 at just over 7000 rpm. The best prop to date that I've used is a wood/carbon hybrid (only 90 grams), sized 20.25 x 12, of my own design. The engine has about 10% longer stroke than the other 30cc class engines available today. That's what gives it it's edge, particularly at the extended vertical maneuvers we fly in F3A.

Good luck
The larger props work well on the 33 in terms of downline brakes. I wondered if Hatori made a can for this engine and you confirmed it. Based on your performance numbers it seems that it is a tuned canister. Curious, which gasoline type are you using?

I tried several ESC canisters on the DLE35RA and got no real boost in output. These were prototype units that Ed Skorepa just sent me to play with. He has no plans to commercialize anything at this time.

I'm not sure how the engine compares to the YS185 on 20% nitro. Adrian and Bryan are reporting good numbers on the 20.5x10 apc (on par with the GT33) except the YS probably performs a little better in the middle of the curve.

BTW guys, anyone wanting to try gasoline pattern with the stock ignition module, don't forget Ed Alt's IBEC. This well filtered gizmo practically eliminates noise getting back to the RX. Every one of my set ups has used the IBEC from its inception 5 years ago. Look at the Tech Aero website for the many positives the IBEC results in.