RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Full flying pivot location thread
Old 03-17-2015, 09:55 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeflyer
Awesome guys, so the front line on the top drawing which is the actual shape is 25% MAC, it looks a little further forward than my jets, how does it look to y'all? I am sure I will chime in with some other stuff later. Thanks.
No, that isn't really anything. At the root it is close to the 25% chord but at the tip it's just about at the leading edge. So it's really not anything at all to do with the planform geometry.

In the sketch below I've added in some red stuff to indicate a couple of options. On the upper sketch I've shown a red line which is eyeball accurrized to sit on the quarter chord line of the root and tip chords. If you can live with a swept hinge line this would give you the balanced low effort servo load. But the swept nature of the hinge line means that the root face is going to arc through some odd gyrations with the trailing edge corner arcing outward from the fuselage and the leading edge point arcing inwards due to the pivot sweep angle.

The lower part shows the hinge line for a straight across pivot that won't arc outwards or inwards. It uses the MAC chord length and location given by the graphic MAC solution you already sketched. That chord line at the intersection of the mid line and angled line is your MAC. And again I eyeballed the red line to show where the 25% location for the pivot axis would be located.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	2082058