RCU Forums - View Single Post - First ever Simmer 600 build on RCU!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 05:14 PM
FlyWheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The instructions say to start with the wing, but I am intending to build a special jig for building that so I decided to start with the tail feathers instead. Nothing in their basic construction requires that something else be built first, and seeing as they are the simplest part anyway, it seems a good route on the way to getting my hands dusty again.

First thing I did was to plane the TE taper in the rudder and elevator pieces. Then I got the hole saws I bought and start drilling them out. I found the hole saws worked best when I screwed the pilot drill into the proper size and then used them as hand tools, twisting them back and forth slowly boring until I was halfway through one side, then turning the piece over and using the same pilot hole to cut the rest of the way through from that side. Doing it this way resulted in a nice clean hole with a minimum of feathering left in the wood, What little there was was easily sanded away with some 220 grit sandpaper.

Unfortunately the hole saw set I bought only went down to 1" diameter, which was too big for the elevator pieces. So I am going to have to find something smaller. Say 1/2". I didn't get to the 1.25" tapered TE pieces drilled out; I'm really not sure if I should use the 1" hole saw on that anyway (perhaps a 1/2" or 3/4"?). Or for that matter if I should even drill those out at all! The full span of the 'CambFlexer' pieces are over 31" long, and even with the control horn mounted at the center that makes for a long span to be full of holes.

I did get the horizontal and vertical tailfins built up though. Once they are cured i will sand them to shape. Last thing I did was to put the elevators together with the bent music wire connector piece. I could have used CF, but after weighing the steel piece and a short piece of cf tubing that was even bigger that what I would have used i found both weighed less than 1 gram (the least my postage scale could detect), so I figured any weight difference would be so negligible as not to be worth the effort. So I epoxied the music wire in place.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	594.5 KB
ID:	2085323   Click image for larger version

Name:	vert.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	2085324   Click image for larger version

Name:	horiz.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	426.7 KB