RCU Forums - View Single Post - Covering This Wingtip??
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 06:18 AM
bjbellino
My Feedback: (176)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I am saying is if I take a piece of monokote say 6" by 3" and touch it with the iron and get it to shrink before it is adhered to an area where I would like it, when I do get all the edges stuck down and try to shrink it with the heat gun or iron, it will not SHRINK as much as it could have, because I shrank it before the edges where adhered. So if I go around the edges and stick it down and not heat up the main body of the monokote, I will be able to get more shrinkage because I haven't partially shrank it already, Bob. If you read the instructions that come with the roll, somewhere it used to say that Monokote is tri-axisually stretched when it is made so that when it is heated and shrunk it shrinks evenly. For the most part, all I am saying is that Monokote will only shrink so much, so if you heat this piece and start shrinking it before all the edges are stuck down, you lose a small bit of shrinkability, which in this case the area is really small and you need all you can get. Directions also say when covering a wing panel, smooth out the Monokote and seal all the edges securely and the start shrinking, so covering will pull tight over the full panel. That is why you do not adhere covering to each wing rib bay, because in so doing, the covering can only shrink in this small area and not the whole panel, Bob.