RCU Forums - View Single Post - Covering This Wingtip??
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 07:38 AM
CModel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say thank you for all your suggestions, but I've tried working the MonoKote almost going through an entire roll. A tip with this many compound curves is very difficult, and while talking about tacking ,and shrinking the covering when it adheres sounds plausible I simply am left with to much covering at the leading edge. If I try not to shrink the covering, and simply attach it then the amount of excess becomes even larger. MonoKote only has an available shrink of about 10%, so I'm not saying it can't be used on these tips, but with an investment of how much "trial, and error time"?

I'm about to buy some Ultra Coat, and give it a shot. I have researched their site, and they offer some outstanding instructions for download on Oracovers website. They really explain in great detail about using the two temperatures one to adhere, and one to shrink. They also explain that the covering when shrinking at 300 degrees does so in percentages easily exceeding MonoKote.
I know it's been a long time debate as which covering you prefer, but that's a very hard detail to overlook considering how much time it saves, and error correction is as simple as heating an lifting the covering without fear of the color being left on the model.

Check out the chart I attached with Ultra Coats details on its ability to shrink. MonoKote simply doesn't offer that. You must apply MonoKote virtually wrinkle free from the start, or you risk locking them in place.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultracoat shrink.PNG
Views:	570
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	2086008