RCU Forums - View Single Post - Contra Rotating Propeller Drive for f3a 2m Pattern Planes
Old 04-07-2015, 08:13 AM
Brenner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes there is...

I had a spontaneous Lipo fire in my tool box on the way home from the field. I was about five minutes from home when I started smelling a pungent burning smell. I naturally assumed that I was passing through a neighborhood where someone was torching a car or something. It happens a lot in Michigan.

However, I got suspicious when I pulled in to my Driveway and the smell was stronger. My house looked ok, and I couldn't see any visible flames in the neighborhood, so I started unloading my plane, and it was then that I realized that I had been driving with a lipo fire in my tool box. Apparently, one of my RX lipos has spontaneously combusted, burning and melting anything that was close to it.

Lucky for me it burned itself out without melting through the side of the box, so my car was undamaged, but I definitely lost most of the stuff inside. I was also left with a distinct fear/phobia concerning the safety of Lipos. The battery in question hadn't been shorted out, and it hadn't been over discharged, or overcharged. It also hadn't been used for several months either.

My Wattmeter was partially melted, but still functional, but I'm going to replace it anyway. That is, as soon as I can remember to replace it.

Brenner ...