RCU Forums - View Single Post - Contra Rotating Propeller Drive for f3a 2m Pattern Planes
Old 04-09-2015, 03:48 AM
PeterP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Brian / Brenner

Thanks for the advice. I made some changes to my model (prior to seeing Brian's post) by adding baffles which direct fresh air through the cheeks onto the the motor case. I am using the Hyde mount which sort of obstructs the airflow from the fan due to its design so I wasn't sure if that was a contributing factor to the high temps I was seeing. Anyway I had 6 flights this evening and the difference to cooling is significant. My motor temperatures have dropped by almost 20C with just the inclusion of baffles. I am quite surprised they have made that much difference. The temp gun and my eagle tree logger both read 45-48C approx 110F so I am confident the results are genuine.

I have also had a chance to install the throttle tech device (a week ago) into my model and I must say it is a great addition to my setup. My throttle management skills are not as good as they should be so I have found this device to be a welcome relief. The biggest benefit I have noticed is my packs (old and new) all feel the same throttle response wise. I prefer to use a slightly higher C rating on batteries as they don't get abused as much as the 25C batteries. The only issue I had with the high C rated batteries was the ON - OFF throttle response. The throttle tech has tamed them down so they feel like my 25C batteries. Currently using 35 as a compensation factor with Spin-99 ESC. My power consumption has dropped btw 5~10% per flight as a result of adding the TT.