RCU Forums - View Single Post - Glow Plugs and older engine.
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 11:29 AM
erwabo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
The engines have been sitting idle for 15 years, so chances are that they have solidified fuel blocking the needle valve orifices. You're going to need some way to control the engine speed when one of these engines starts, so let's only consider the airplane with the working radio. Does that engine have compression when you flip it over? If so, let's concentrate on getting that one started.

First, pull the glow plug from the engine Attach the glow battery to the plug. Does it light up? If it does, put it back in the engine. If it doesn't, replace it with a new one.

Is this engine a two stroke or four stroke engine?

OK, you have a known good glow plug and compression when you flip the engine. Now, let's find out if the engine will draw fuel. The proper sequence in turning your radio equipment on is to turn the transmitter on first and then the receiver. Always turn the transmitter on first, then the receiver and when turning the radio off, turn the receiver off first and then turn the transmitter off. Always in this order. So we are going to activate the entire radio system. Turn your transmitter on. Now turn your receiver on. Push the throttle lever all the way forward on the transmitter. Do not have the glow plug battery connected at this time. With the throttle stick all the way forward, does the carburetor barrel open? If it does not, find out why not. Is the throttle servo not working? Is the linkage bound up? Or is the carburetor stuck from congealed fuel? Once we get the carburetor working properly, we can check to see if the engine will draw fuel..To do this, push the throttle stick forward (carburetor fully open) and flip the engine over several times, glow plug battery not attached. You should see fuel drawn through the fuel line going to the carburetor. If it does draw fuel, you are ready for the next step. If it does not draw fuel, find out why it does not draw fuel. Chances are that you have a clogged needle valve if it does not draw and the fuel system will have to be cleaned to fix it.

So at this point, you have compression and you have fuel going to the carburetor. Remember,. this is all done so far without the glow battery connected to the glow plug. You do NOT want the engine to accidently start at this time. Either of the engines, the .60 or the 1.50, is big enough to do some serious damage to you if it accidently started and you were not prepared for it to start.

Let me say this at this time. With an engine that was previously run and then set idle for 15 years, I would clean the engine both inside and out before doing anything else to it. Chasing a starting problem with an old gummed up engine can be pretty frustrating. A well cleaned engine is much easier to work with and to trouble shoot problems. Just for future reference, do you have access to compressed air?

This is enough for now. Which engine are we trying to start, by the way? Do all the things necessary to get fuel flowing to the engine and post it and someone will take you through the next steps to starting this puppy.
Okay...I remounted the engine and the throttle works great now and the carb opens and closes with no problem. The linkage is working, the glow plug is good and I am seeing fuel going INTO the engine. I replaced the needle valve as well, but I didn't have a chance to blow it out, however it was filled with cleaner, so I think it got cleared out. I tried starting again, but no dice