RCU Forums - View Single Post - Glow Plugs and older engine.
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 07:40 PM
erwabo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
A plane can "fly" with an over powered engine but it will be nose heavy, meaning you will have to keep the speed up to land it. If you add weight in the tail to properly balance the plane, it will be even heavier meaning you will have to keep the speed up even more to land it. Pulling power off of a nose heavy plane will result in the plane losing altitude more quickly than you would like meaning you have to land faster than you would like. A properly balanced airplane will slow down to a walk on landing, making it much easier and a lot less expensive.

If we're talking about that Tiger 60, it is a very good airplane, but not a trainer. It flies very well with the proper engine, comparable to a Sig Four Star 60, and a .91 four stroke is perfect for the plane. A good .60 to .75 two stroke would be good for the airplane also.

A twelve inch prop on the Saito 1.50 will result in the engine over revving badly, not a good thing for the engine. I implore you not to try to fly a Tiger 60 with a Saito 1.50 engine. It will be more trouble that it's worth. Fly it with a proper size engine so that it balances correctly and when you pull off power, the nose just slightly sinks, enabling you to have a good approach.

You will be doing yourself a huge favor to get with your neighbor who is an accomplished flier before attempting to fly that Tiger. It will save you many heartaches as well as bundles of money.

That Saito 1.5o should have at least a 16 inch prop on it, maybe even as much as an 18 or 19. Don't make problems for yourself.
I think it may be a 91...I am removing it from the plane tomorrow to soak it, I had it out earlier but forgot to look