RCU Forums - View Single Post - I'm a raw beginner... with a project
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 01:57 PM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an instructor for my club, I suggest you not buy anything at this point. Visit some clubs in your area and look up an instructor. Most clubs have club owned trainers and use a buddy box system for flight training. I also highly recommend buying a flight trainer for your computer. The AMA has a 60 day flight training program that allows you to fly with an instructor for free for 60 days which is ample time to learn to fly for someone who has even a basic understanding of aerodynamics. At the end of a few lessons it becomes very obvious if this is something you really want to pursue. And just because you have an airplane, it does you no good unless you have a transmitter, receiver, a bunch of servos, an engine/motor and flight batteries as well as support equipment. So this is not a hobby to be taken lightly and it makes no sense to buy stuff before you even know if you like flying. I recently went through a long series of phone calls with a fellow that wanted to learn to fly and I then learn the airplane he bought was an F-86. Yikes! Although I convinced him to sell the F-86 and to work with me using club trainers and then buy something more trainer oriented. A few days later he called all excited and indicated he bought a Twin Star (twin engine). More yikes! I ended up buying and selling most of his stuff except for the F-86 as he quickly realized this was simply not his cup of tea. At our annual Home & Recreation show booth we talk with many folks who bought airplanes, built them, tried to fly them with no training and as you might expect, crashed them. They sit in the attic of their garage gathering dust. So again -- do this the smart way. Start with a jalopy and then go for the Corvette. If there are RC swap meets/auctions in your area (check with local hobby shops) you can usually find a complete trainer and used radio equipment very reasonable.