Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I'm a raw beginner... with a project

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I'm a raw beginner... with a project

Old 06-15-2015, 01:34 PM
lonestoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second major tomsky
Old 06-15-2015, 01:57 PM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

As an instructor for my club, I suggest you not buy anything at this point. Visit some clubs in your area and look up an instructor. Most clubs have club owned trainers and use a buddy box system for flight training. I also highly recommend buying a flight trainer for your computer. The AMA has a 60 day flight training program that allows you to fly with an instructor for free for 60 days which is ample time to learn to fly for someone who has even a basic understanding of aerodynamics. At the end of a few lessons it becomes very obvious if this is something you really want to pursue. And just because you have an airplane, it does you no good unless you have a transmitter, receiver, a bunch of servos, an engine/motor and flight batteries as well as support equipment. So this is not a hobby to be taken lightly and it makes no sense to buy stuff before you even know if you like flying. I recently went through a long series of phone calls with a fellow that wanted to learn to fly and I then learn the airplane he bought was an F-86. Yikes! Although I convinced him to sell the F-86 and to work with me using club trainers and then buy something more trainer oriented. A few days later he called all excited and indicated he bought a Twin Star (twin engine). More yikes! I ended up buying and selling most of his stuff except for the F-86 as he quickly realized this was simply not his cup of tea. At our annual Home & Recreation show booth we talk with many folks who bought airplanes, built them, tried to fly them with no training and as you might expect, crashed them. They sit in the attic of their garage gathering dust. So again -- do this the smart way. Start with a jalopy and then go for the Corvette. If there are RC swap meets/auctions in your area (check with local hobby shops) you can usually find a complete trainer and used radio equipment very reasonable.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:11 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MajorTomski
Soonerbillz as said above; Welcome to the hobby it can be tons of fun. Put the Spitfire back on the shelf for your 3rd or 4th plane.

Start with a trainer. Although those above have said stay away from a foam airplane, they haven't flown a NEW foam airplane. I've been teaching folks to fly RC at TORKS in OKC since 1996 and I am extremely impressed by this airplane and the crash-proof technology that comes with it:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL3100

I see many guys flying those at my field. They seem to fly very slowly which is good for someone new. Personally I prefer the rumble of an internal combustion engine but I'm sure those are a more hassle free way to jump into the hobby.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:14 PM
lonestoner

Glow for sure, it's way more satisfying in the air,
Old 06-16-2015, 03:14 AM
flyoz
My Feedback: (7)

Hiya Scott good on you for having a go its a wonderful hobby.
As a beginner i reckon the thrill return is awesome so no need to rush to results enjoy the ride
Like the guys have already said a Spitfire is a better 4th model to fly and to build. a simple trainer full kit would be a better start.
Carl Bauer, SIG 9 a kit manuf) and Vin Masters had how too booklets/ e books on Building from plans.
A Flight sim like Real Flight or FMS etc is a good way to get a feel for flying
Old 06-16-2015, 08:26 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm actually going to disagree about building a kit for the trainer. Not that I'm against building, but because of the time of year that it is. Most clubs have their training times during the summer, usually ending when DST ends. If the OP starts building a kit trainer now, he'll probably finish in August and may need to do some tweaking once an instructor has checked it out, putting him actually ready to fly it just about when training is over for the year. An ARF can be assembled and ready to fly in a weekend, allowing him a lot more time to work with an instructor.

I'll agree first with loopdeeloop though. Visit the clubs first. Each club has its own personality, so you want to get started with a group that you like to be around. How welcoming they are to a newbie tells you a lot. If you walk up and half a dozen guys look at you from the corner of their eyes and say nothing to you then a club officer puts forth an effort to welcome you awkwardly, that's a clue that the club is contentious and unhelpful. But if everyone you meet seems genuinely interested in you and willing to take some time to answer your questions and show you around, that's the one to join. Either way, find out what the training times are and what you need to do. Many instructors keep a trainer on hand to help new pilots, so you could possibly get your first flight in this week. Some clubs might ask you to provide fuel or bring your own buddy box. Some might require you to buy all of your equipment first and join before being instructed. Whatever the expectation is though, you need to know it before you do anything else.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:23 AM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

The club I'm in has no club trainers. Everyone must fly their own. Even then my radio is an old 72mhz so there was no buddy box to use. My first flight we passed the transmitter back and forth.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
I'm actually going to disagree about building a kit for the trainer. Not that I'm against building, but because of the time of year that it is. Most clubs have their training times during the summer, usually ending when DST ends. If the OP starts building a kit trainer now, he'll probably finish in August and may need to do some tweaking once an instructor has checked it out, putting him actually ready to fly it just about when training is over for the year. An ARF can be assembled and ready to fly in a weekend, allowing him a lot more time to work with an instructor.

I'll agree first with loopdeeloop though. Visit the clubs first. Each club has its own personality, so you want to get started with a group that you like to be around. How welcoming they are to a newbie tells you a lot. If you walk up and half a dozen guys look at you from the corner of their eyes and say nothing to you then a club officer puts forth an effort to welcome you awkwardly, that's a clue that the club is contentious and unhelpful. But if everyone you meet seems genuinely interested in you and willing to take some time to answer your questions and show you around, that's the one to join. Either way, find out what the training times are and what you need to do. Many instructors keep a trainer on hand to help new pilots, so you could possibly get your first flight in this week. Some clubs might ask you to provide fuel or bring your own buddy box. Some might require you to buy all of your equipment first and join before being instructed. Whatever the expectation is though, you need to know it before you do anything else.
I have never had a student buy anything except there own fuel. I supply everything else and a student doesn't really know what to buy or what brands they may want in the future.
I find it odd that no one at allmodes club has a buddy box. Depending on the cord they work with both 2.4 and 72? I'm set up for both if using Futaba or Hitec radios. Others at my flying sites have the cords for other radios but these are my main two, I only have one Spektrum that I don't use.
The pass off radio is how a lot of pilots learned but a box is a lot better/faster. I just got a friend back into flying and used one of my planes, if we would have been passing off during the first flight I would have never been able to save that plane, not a trainer.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:34 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re your Spitfire kit. If it is a Dave Platt Spitfire kit it will be an accurate scale kit with narrow undercarriage. This makes it difficult to take off and land without ground looping. Ask me how I know this.

It will make an excellent 4th model after a trainer, an Ugly Stick and something a little heavier and fast like a low wing tail dragger with a tapered wing.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:58 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
I see many guys flying those at my field. They seem to fly very slowly which is good for someone new. Personally I prefer the rumble of an internal combustion engine but I'm sure those are a more hassle free way to jump into the hobby.

Actully it's the technology behind the Apprentice that is fantastic. In the 'low' trainer mode the airplane will not and cannot be flown to anything more than 15 degrees of bank or pitch. Turn off the transmitter and it will circle glide to a landing. It is ALMOST capable of teaching a patient student to fly by themselves.

One of my students only needed two flights on a buddy box and he's off flying by himself and getting better even in Oklahoma's moderate winds.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:14 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Oklahoma's moderate winds- is that when you have to do everything with the right stick because you have to hold on to a telephone pole to keep from being knocked over?
Old 06-18-2015, 07:19 AM
MajorTomski

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Oklahoma's moderate winds- is that when you have to do everything with the right stick because you have to hold on to a telephone pole to keep from being knocked over?

Litterally L-O-L!!! you are correct sir! I once went to a pattern contest, with a mild Oklahoma crosswind. The pilot stations were on the left side of the flightline. I watched the RIGHT side of my plane all the way down final due to the crab angle.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:16 AM
lonestoner

Just bought the book how to fly in crosswinds from dons hobby shop
Old 06-18-2015, 09:21 AM
MajorTomski

Originally Posted by lonestoner
Just bought the book how to fly in crosswinds from dons hobby shop
I HOPE it doen't tell you the only way to land in a crosswind is one wing low into the crosswind and opposite rudder.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:36 AM
lonestoner

Didn't get the book yet but I always try to land into the wind in general
Old 06-19-2015, 12:04 PM
dingo9882

Did you start building the spit yet? Any luck with the plans?