RCU Forums - View Single Post - Warning on Dap Crap Spackle
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Warning on Dap Crap Spackle

This new product could become your worst nightmare if used to fill weave and other imperfections on your plane.
It's the new Dap Patch & Paint light weight spackle, it's not the same as the older lightweight spackle many of us has used in the past. Patch & paint looks and goes on just like the old stuff but sanding it is another matter, it's more like vinyl when dry and balls and rolls up when sanding with little dust. Compatibility to primers and paint could be an issue also, I haven't tested that yet and I didn't test the dap first either, MAJOR MISTAKE.

Because I put a light coat of the Dap Patch & paint on the glass weave and then found the sanding problem I made another mistake and went over it with 3M Acrly Spot Putty, at first I thought it stuck and sanded well but 2 days later it started cracking and lifting in spots and I now believe it all needs to come off including the spackle. I thank God I only put the spackle on one side of the flaps & ailerons. As far as the Acrly putty is concerned a lacquer primer test is in order and I hope it doesn't eat into the filler.

Product testing is important and I have always known that and done it most of the time, I thought the Dap was a better version of the old stuff, not even close.

Some may have already found out what I just did, others of you don't use the Dap Patch & paint or fast & final spackle product on your planes, then again it's your choice.

If you know a replacement product let us know.

LG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000838.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2106343   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000836.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	949.9 KB
ID:	2106344