Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Warning on Dap Crap Spackle

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Warning on Dap Crap Spackle

Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warning on Dap Crap Spackle

This new product could become your worst nightmare if used to fill weave and other imperfections on your plane.
It's the new Dap Patch & Paint light weight spackle, it's not the same as the older lightweight spackle many of us has used in the past. Patch & paint looks and goes on just like the old stuff but sanding it is another matter, it's more like vinyl when dry and balls and rolls up when sanding with little dust. Compatibility to primers and paint could be an issue also, I haven't tested that yet and I didn't test the dap first either, MAJOR MISTAKE.

Because I put a light coat of the Dap Patch & paint on the glass weave and then found the sanding problem I made another mistake and went over it with 3M Acrly Spot Putty, at first I thought it stuck and sanded well but 2 days later it started cracking and lifting in spots and I now believe it all needs to come off including the spackle. I thank God I only put the spackle on one side of the flaps & ailerons. As far as the Acrly putty is concerned a lacquer primer test is in order and I hope it doesn't eat into the filler.

Product testing is important and I have always known that and done it most of the time, I thought the Dap was a better version of the old stuff, not even close.

Some may have already found out what I just did, others of you don't use the Dap Patch & paint or fast & final spackle product on your planes, then again it's your choice.

If you know a replacement product let us know.

LG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000838.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2106343   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000836.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	949.9 KB
ID:	2106344  
Old 06-29-2015, 12:45 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Dap in the past and ran out so I got some Red Devil Light Weight Spackle. It sands just like the old DAP did. Thanks for the heads up on the new DAP.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:41 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a new tub from the Home Depot. I have not yet opened it as I am still using my old tub. I will be mad if they have changed it and it does what you are saying. I have used this stuff for more years than I care to remember with great success. Thanks for the info, Dave
Old 07-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Leroy Gardner

It's pretty obvious most don't care but I made a honest attempt to inform anyone who uses this product of it's pearls. Parts I used Dap Spackle on has caused the removal of the skin side it was used on.

LG
Old 07-11-2015, 09:39 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just bought a small tub from walmart, same problem as you mentioned. I figured it was just the humidity down here in florida, but i guess not.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:47 PM
Leroy Gardner

I used a micro plane to remove the Dap impregnated glass cloth prior to removing the wood which made the removal muck cleaner. That strip feels just like dry latex paint with spackle powder in it which it is.

Not much else needs to be said at this point.

LG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000841.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2108710