RCU Forums - View Single Post - UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation
Old 07-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Heli-NuBee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had kind of a disappointing day. I flew my Howard DGA-12 and when I was close to landing the plane just quit flying, bounced hard, cartwheeled and seriously damaged the engine. The plane only suffered minor damage but the engine was hurt. One of the cylinders was broken off of the case. I checked and I can not purchase parts to repair the engine and can only send it in to Horizon for repair. When I sent my Saito 450 to CH Ignitions for repair the shipping alone was about $50.00. CH Ignitions was unable to obtain the necessary parts and the cost was going to be excessive so I just donated the engine for parts. I am afraid the cost to repair the UMS 7-77 could also be excessive and I could purchase a DLE 55 to fly the Howard for about $360. I will have to do some serious thinking as to if I decide to repair the 7-77. On previous flights, the Howard landed well with no problems. On those flights, there was a breeze coming down the runway. On the last flight, the air was still and warm, the plane simply quit flying at about two feet above the runway even though I had full flaps down. It was a real surprise. I can tell you that the plane is quite heavy but I did not get around to weighing it. It is unfortunate that the UMS 7-77 manual indicates only a few parts are available and all other repairs must be performed by Horizon. I think that I could repair the engine if parts were available.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Heli-NuBee (AKA Roger the radial rabbit)