RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito 65 Break-in?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 07:27 PM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 65 Break-in?

I put a Saito 65 in my Cessna 182. Brand new engine. I am running 15/18 fuel and a 12-8 prop. All my settings were at factory set and it would not run with out the glow lead hooked up unless you were at least half throttle. I went back to the manual and reset factory setting and they were right. I went to try and tune it a little but it just would not tune. I checked the valve gap and the valve timing, not a simple task there! Timing that is. Thing is that if I get it to idle any where near decent the low speed needle is way in, recessed into the throttle arm a long way. My manual says to set that at a 1mm gap but I have seen on line manuals that say flush with the outside of the throttle arm. I think they are one and the same. My question is if these engines run real rough at idle while breaking them in? My top end RPM is better than the idle but it is not real steady. I have been tuning engines for a long time but this is my first brand new Saito. All my new engines have been mostly O.S. and they ran great right from the get go. Nothing like this any way. Any ideas? Just an after thought. I am on the fourth tank of fuel. No change yet.