RCU Forums - View Single Post - Digital throw meters. Anything new?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 12:33 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello guys.

I have made numerous tests with the Xicoy angle meters.
The accuracy is 0.1 degrees and repeatability extremely good.

What I found out is that a slight change in the position of the sensor would introduce an error of 0.5 to 0.7 degree on the flight control.
So I came up with a laser 3D printed solution to improve the stability of the device.

The sensor mount is locked in position with blue tack paste or similar.
http://www.ultimate-jets.net/collect...-sensor-mounts

After having obtained a perfect stability, I still could not reproduce my throws to better than 0.3 to 0.4 degree on a flight control, whereas the sensor would invariably return an accuracy of 0.1 degree on fixed reference surfaces.

What I found out is that a number of things influence the positioning of the flight control.
1. Servo positioning accuracy
2. Servo gear clearance
3. Ball link flexibility ( resin ball link ) or play ( alloy ball link )
4. Control hing clearance and flexibility

I see on the posts above that 0.2 degree resolution is not good enough for you and some are looking at 0.02 degrees.
My question is: do you really manage to get the flight controls to such level of repeatability?
If yes, how do you achieve this?

How do you get the following:
1. servo positioning accuracy equal or less than 0.01 degree
2. Servo gear clearance minimized to get and control arm positioning at 0.01 degree
3. Ball link with clearance less than 1/10 mm
4. Super stiff hinge with clearance less than 1/10 degree

I am looking at super precise flight control setup for F3J but cannot achieve more than 0.3-0.4 degree right now with the best servos, alloy control arms, ball links and hinge that I know.
Your help would be much appreciated.