RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA Useless!
Thread: AMA Useless!
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 12:25 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am amazed at the level of vitriol being leveled at the AMA over the FAA's decision. If you take the time to read the entire rule and the preamble discussing the comments (yes, all 200+ pages), I think you'll find that the AMA actually did a very good job representing our interests. Numerous times throughout are discussions of comments made by the AMA and its membership through the rule making process. The arguments presented by the AMA and its members were generally well presented, factual, and based in law. The FAA chose to ignore them. No justification, no explanation.

The insurance marketing email had nothing to do with the AMA, other than the AMA is making money by selling its membership contact information to that company. This is a very common practice among non-profit organizations, and those dollars will also help fund the fight. I don't care if I get more junk mail from the AMA, as long as I know its getting us the resources we need to do battle with the Washington, DC bureaucrats.

For those that say the AMA chose poorly by embracing the multirotor aspect of the hobby, has occurred that if they hadn't, they wouldn't even have had a seat at the table! The FAA is lumping ALL RC aircraft into the SUAS category. the FAA doesn't care how many props, how big the craft, how its used, or anything else. The AMA couldn't change that. The only way to change it at this point will be with big money and the courts. The AMA is the only game in town where we can continue to pool our resources and fight for the right outcome. Unless you have your own personal legal practice and want to take it on pro bono for the rest of us.

Brad