RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA executive council accountability
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 09:26 PM
jeffrey solomon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that there have been many AMA flyers that have flown where they should not have flown from AMA fields. I know several and cautioned them about
the consequences to little avail. When they do it off site and are snagged there should be penalties imposed on them, but whether they should be imposed by their club or the AMA is not for me to say at this time, haven't really thought about that one yet.

The FAA is certainly responsible for general aviation full scale and model. And they will interpret their own rule as they see fit, however the
AMA and other concerned groups participated in the FAA creation of the rules did they not?
Was not the AMA consulted? Did they not have input?
Or was their participation just for the cameras?
Was not an "ad hoc" agreement reached between the AMA and the FAA in drafting the 2012 Rules for Model Aircraft?
Now the FAA wants to interpret and extend what was agreed to under the heading of safety?
It is not the registration I believe we should take issue with but the FAAs unchecked ability to interpret, modify, alter and change legislation they
produced, agreed to and signed off on. If we do not take issue and pursue this issue then the
legislative procedure is superfluous. Because the FAA is going to change it any time, any way with out accountability.

There is nothing obvious about the AMA position about drones. In fact if you know the reason for the purchase of most drones and the manner they are flown in, I think ,a reasonable person would find a glaring contradiction in the AMA. Drones are not flown at clubs, and if they are flown at clubs or with permission then they are not a problem. Most are flown for exploration of prohibited and inaccessible areas.
How can the AMA reconcile that?
As far as the AMA being absolved of fault either through omission or commission , based on a long history of negotiations this statement is unsupported by
the facts of today.