porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
From the document referenced above:

"Subpart E – Special Rule for Model Aircraft
§ 101.41 Applicability.
This subpart prescribes the rules governing the operation of a model aircraft that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:
(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;"

The only reason I belong to AMA is that I cannot fly at our club field without membership. My homeowner's insurance provides coverage for my flying before the AMA one will kick in. The magazine is interesting, but I could easily live without it. I'm not interested in organized competition. Unfortunately, I find sport and (attempted) pattern flying of 40 and up displacement fixed wing aircraft more interesting than multi-rotors so I am stuck, but I don't have to like it.

I guess I am annoyed that the AMA painted a rosy picture of their efforts "on our behalf" but the truth is much different.
I don't recall any AMA press release or comments that indicated anything was rosey. They were pretty clear what the issues were and how they were trying to deal with the. The "outcome" isn't indicayltuve of them misleading us or painting a rosey picture. If anything..the results were not as bad as they could have been. The reg was never going away, so nothing new. AMA number might be used, clarification will be coming on the 400 foot issue.

So...looks like the AMA was very much involved and not quite as toothless as noted.

If those changes are made...what again is this huge horrible change that will drastically affect the hobby...or cause it to end? A 5 minute registration?