RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mods.
Thread: Mods.
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 01:43 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther F
So speaking of mods... I want to try my hand at animating (adding motion) a 1/16 figure.

What IS the best route to start with as far as servo size/speed and is it best to use linkage or a cable through the body/torso?

I know the radio needs more than 4 channels... so what should I shoot for then?

8? 10 channels?

Jeff
First off decide what you want it to do. Simplest and most convincing is just a turning head. Second would be an arm lifting binocs or something similar, but that runs the risk of looking like a Santas Elf in a window type thing.

A 5 gr micro servo would serve fine for turning a head, but if you go from underneath, any servo size will do.

In terms of channels, anything above 6 is too rich for my blood, or at least to warrant the price (I'm not up on the cheapies). But you only get switches above 6 anyway right? It's not like they have more sticks.

The easiest would be a head turn hook up to the rotation, you can go with like it'slooking ahead or against as if it's checking it's back. With Tamiya, you can get the servo to move before the rotation kicks in.

Here's Squidward (thrice decapitated in battle so far) piggy backed on rotation of a normal 4 channel Attack Tx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONW9lqzBgGg