RCU Forums - View Single Post - FB 1/7th F15 scale build
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 11:15 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting discussion regarding the electric gear. Having fiddled with the F-15E gear a lot, I am certain you could use the electric conversion without worrying about the rotation mechanics .. they are separate .. the actuation from the cylinder is in a straight line. There would of course be some consideration on the maximum diameter and length of the drive motor in the space where the cylinder originally was.

It is encouraging that Kris has had success with his new two-valve air setup.

My own experience with electric gear has been mixed. With some of the smaller units there is a fine line between amping out when the gear retracts vs amping out due to air flow issues ... requiring a close eye on airspeed when retracting or extending gear. Perhaps on some of the larger units this is less of a problem.

If you do a simple "flat plate" calculation on the force of 100 mph air on the F-15E's tires, I get numbers in the 4-6 pound range .. so I am thinking it might be interesting to make measurements of the actual gear with a force gauge and see how much pressure the actuators can make out at the end of the leg where the wheel is.

At any rate, data is data and Kris' gear working is really good news!

Dave