RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bridi ESCAPE new build. any tricks or tips would be lovely !
Old 02-22-2016, 06:33 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

+1 For David's reply.
Having built several original Bridi wood kits back in the 'day' I will say that the price was certainly good. The wood quality was a bit inconsistent and you could have some pretty heavy wood. Why Joe felt the need to use 3/32 sheeting for the horizontal surfaces which was overkill even back then, but the airplanes built stock from his kits were pretty rugged. A fellow club member flew his UFO through another pattern ship which was destroyed; the UFO had a relatively small gash in the leading edge of one wing. Bridi fuselages were basically balsa baseball bats, but very easy to mass produce. I scratch built Deceptions and Dirty Birdies mostly sticking to the original plans (1/16" sheeting for the horizontal surfaces and contest balsa everywhere) and built a stock, fully painted Deception at a bit less than 8.5 pounds which fly great with a YS 60FR.
The quality of the current Bridi/Blue Jay kits is much better than the originals (IMHO) and they should build lighter, though not as light as the new redesigns.