RCU Forums - View Single Post - 18MZ and telemetry for KingTech 140 twins....
Old 03-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Len
One trick I was taught is to connect the pump cables to the opposite ECU's if you have a twin engine plane that yaws badly on a single flameout. That way the still running engine's pump is shut down by the feedback from the flamed out engine. This does cause a dead stick, but sometimes that is more desirable than any thrust, even idle thrust, on one engine alone.
Len
That'd be kind of tough to do with the new engines have the pumps inside the engine case like the JetCat RXi's and KingTech "G" series wouldn't it?

I've not tried to fly my TomCat yet, but putting the JetCat RXi engines in it created a bit of an issue with the fuel supply. Since the pumps are much better at pressurizing than suction and the fuel inlet size on the engine is still 4mm, you 'gotta do some monkey business with the fuel line diameters and adapting back and forth between the 4mm lines on the CAT's, tank outlets and engine inputs.

John Redmond will tell you that he's run these 180RXi's on the bench with a 20" section of 4mm line feeding the thing with no problems but being an ex-firefighter and used to working with hydraulics, I'm still a bit nervous about the setup but it should work fine.

Point being; a remote fuel pump as the engines all used to have, I think would be a better setup on certain models like the TomCat where the fuel runs quite a little journey on it's way from the tanks to the engines.

Oh yeah, back to the reason I read this thread in the first place; I wasn't planning on doing any telemetry stuff as I didn't care for all the monkey motion/parts required to "maybe" make it work on a twin. But with Gaspar's input I'm going to look into setting something up on my TomCat with my 18MZ radio.

Last edited by Zeeb; 03-13-2016 at 09:28 AM.