RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nice Twin cyl engine...West Germany. 50cc
Old 04-16-2016, 06:56 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eddieC
I ran across this thread while searching for something else. Cap'n, we talked about my FK-50 a while back. I got to tinkering with it, pulled the gear cover to see if it had the upgrade. It doesn't, but I was amazed when I opened it up. It was all sludged up! I degunked it, so it should be ok. *
Previous owner must have run normal RC fuel, which contains way too much oil. As you're aware, it only requires 2% oil in the fuel since the oil pump is the primary lube source.*I plan on having Mecoa upgrade the gear. No machining involved (where does he get that?), just a shim or two.*
I don't know where PK gets such inaccurate info. The pump obviously works, being driven from an eccentric on the camshaft. Many full-scale design elements are incorporated in the engine; oil pump, dipstick, cam-ground pistons, oil rings, nitrided barrels, etc. It's a scale reproduction of the early Continental twins which produced 32-40 HP.*
Anyone interested should look up Clarence Lee's RCM review. He thought it would be better termed a 'miniature aircraft engine'. It has the same performances as a Quadra 50 2-stroke, and is much stronger with ignition. One sold at Christie's not long ago for nearly $1,700. I don't recall ever seeing an Enya at Christie's.*
These are true works of industrial art and, since art is meant to be displayed and appreciated, I plan to put mine in a 1/3-scale Cub and occasionally fly it. They are very reliable and last a long time with proper care.*
Eddie, I also plan to put my Kavan is a J3 cub.