RCU Forums - View Single Post - Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!
Old 06-01-2016, 03:44 PM
RC YEAGER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by denber
Very nice Illusion. Can someone give me more details and history about this airplane. I got out of R/C in the early 80's so I assume this was a later design? I flew Tippo's back then and thinking about building one again. Although this may be a better choice? Thanks Dennis
The Illusion is an evolution of the Tiporare with less stab anhedral and made for a side exhaust engine tilted about 45 degrees downwards from being side mounted (i.e. about 45 degrees from fully inverted) so that the header and pipe centered around the bottom of the fuse. Despite this, many dont build it this way. To my knowledge, Dave Brown only campaigned it for about a year or so, coming in 2nd behind Ivan Kristensen in the 1983 Nats Masters class, the last year for the classic "one manouver per pass" pattern style in the top class. In 1984, turnaround pattern started to fade in and designs started evolving accordingly