RCU Forums - View Single Post - Glassing and Painting Question
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 06:03 AM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jhony

No expert but novice improving to acceptable.

Spray guns no need to get a first class gun until your experience needs better results. http://www.tcpglobal.com/TCP-F3-SET.html#.V1ltQNROKrU
Very happy with this gun it is a Iwata lph 50 clone with out the hvlp. Have another more expensive but this is may favorite for hobby use.

Check my avatar for my builds here and on rcgroups. Several pictures and results.

Go with a proven procedure and brands for proven results.

1. .75 glass
2. Your project is not small so go with west system epoxy brand. Get a quart and fast hardener. GET THE SMALL BATCH KIT that comes with balance and two pouring botles.
3. In a art store buy brushes that come with a rubber tip instead of hair. This work exellent for aplying glass.
4. For first time don't try the peel film proccess until you master the glassing first. To much to do for firts time.
5. After glassing don't go for second resin coat waste of time, go directly to filling weave.
6. first coat of primer is brushed and rolled one. Since first job it wont be perfect and lots,lots,lots and lots of sanding. Sapraying primer at this time means repeating this several times. Lesson learned.
6.They sell a fine putty tham comes like a tooth paste. After primer roolled and brushed apply in all low spots or errors.
7. The boring lots of sanding. Sand off almost completly first primer coat. 350 fit wetsand paper. Prepare to get dirty. Use water to sand and have a rag to pick up all excess watter.
8. Second coat of primer is sprayed on. I like ppg omni mp182 primer has fillers in and easy to sand. Get a painting mask to protect your lungs a must. If lucky you are finished, if find more imperfections needs to be filled with putty and more sanding.
9.Now is good time to change primer and go with white primer keep same brand or can ruin all your work and redo.
10. Decide wich paint job to do. I used single stage for my first project. Have done only one project with
two stage using ppg omni clear medium cure. Check auto aircolors and watch Simon Murray videos. A must. Makes want to go to united kingdom to take a lesson. Coast airbrush sells their products online.
11. For clear coat have a more expensive eastwood concourse mini gun. Has good results but think is over priced and probably the same taiwan gun as tcp global. Get the hvlp big gun for this to have a big spray fan.

For primer 1.5 tip, and 1 tip for omni single stage. I always use more reducers as manufacturer says.

cheers

Juan
Guatemala