RCU Forums - View Single Post - DGS resin Firefly kit
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 08:41 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my kit, I have been trying very hard to make all of the hatches operate. Using a pin vise and a 0.025" drill, I have drilled out all the necessary holes. Then, I have been cutting small straight pins and inserting them from each side of the hatch hinge. I've been using a toothpick and a drop of super glue under the head of the pin before pushing it all the way into place. I was able to successfully do this on the two hull hatches and the square loader's hatch
But, no matter how careful I was, I could not make the commander's hatch work without breaking.the two hatch halves right where they met the hinge area. Initially, I just glued the hatch doors into place, since they didn't really NEED to open because the Heng Long elevation motor was under there. But then I looked at Frank's build again, and saw where he relocated the elevation gear so that he could open the split hatch. (I gotta quit doing that - every time I think I'm happy with how the build is going; I see how nice his looks, and change direction again)!
Anyway, I ordered a Mato metal split hatch from Mato Mart and got it in the mal today. It is really, really nice and I am very happy with it. It is just a little larger in diameter than the stock resin hatch, and I had to cut away the bullet splash ring on top of the turret to get it to fit.
Sorry for rambling on. I just wanted to let you all know how nice I think this metal hatch is. Would be a great part to use on the prototype Super Pershing, (subsequent ones used the oval loader's hatch), or any other early Sherman that needs the split hatch.