RCU Forums - View Single Post - New into Hobby RC, should I buy X-maxx
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 03:05 AM
Maxximize

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were starting out with monster trucks these days, I'd start with something smaller and less expensive personally. I'd definitely say stick with Traxxas simply for the parts supply. Take a look at the Stampede 4x4, it is an excellent truck for driving around through grass and on road in smaller areas, but still very up gradable and plenty fast. I recently had the chance to drive my cousin's Stampede 4x4 VXL on 3S LiPO, and it was a total blast! I prefer my Axial Yeti 1/10 overall, but it isn't as fast as the VXL Stampede is, even after I geared it up by 4 teeth from stock on the pinion, and the Stampede handles much better as well. The Yeti is better in nasty off road terrain though and makes more torque.

I also have a 1/16 Traxxas truck, but it is an E Revo. That's a fun little MT, though it can't handle tall and thick grass well at all. Mine is brushed, but I run mod motors in it so it's quite a bit faster than stock. If yours is brushed, check out Team brood's website. They sell a bunch of old school stock and mod racing motors. I run a 19T Chameleon 2 Spec motor converted to run stand up brushes in mine and have geared it up a bit. Team Brood sells the Chameleon 2 for $20, the Cobalt 27 stock and Green Machine 3 stock motors also run very well in a 1/16 Revo. The stock ESC will handle down to a 15T 540 motor, and I have ran a 15T double wound in mine, though I prefer the 19T and 27T motors for the torque they make. I also run it with dual batteries using a parallel adapter for some added punch and run time. The 1/16 Slash can be converted to a 1/16 Revo pretty easily. All you need are the 1/16 Revo A arms, toe links, shock push rods, drive shafts, and wheels. You'd probably need a Revo body too as the stock Slash one would need to be heavily trimmed to clear the longer A arms and you'll probably need to re gear it. I run 23, 25 and 28 tooth pinions with a 50 tooth spur (23/50 is stock for the brushed 1/16 Revo) depending on terrain and what motor I have in it. Lower turn motors like lower gearing in most cases. The Chameleon 2 has a lot of torque and can be geared up quite a bit from stock while still pulling wheelies. The 1/16 Revo can handle some surprisingly tough off roading, but like I said, tall grass is it's kryptonite. At least with stock wheels and tires it is.

Last edited by Maxximize; 07-06-2016 at 03:16 AM.