RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is an alternative to the AMA finally here?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:22 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
An honest and fair question that deserves a respectful response .

It is my belief that there are not yet any other model aircraft organizations like the AMA because there just aren't enough of us to make more than one organization financially worthwhile . What , are we 200K or so members ? After 80 or so years ? We just don't have the numbers that would support competing organizations . I do believe as someone mentioned in a different thread , if ever a new UAS organization were to be formed , it would cater exclusively to the BLOS FPV community who will be doing it commercially (both multirotor FPV and fixed wing FPV) so as to focus solely on the needs of that flight category apart from the LOS category which is now well represented by the AMA . Right now our AMA represents us LOS flyers only and there is , that I know of , no one single organization of similar structure advocating for the commercial UAS BLOS operations , and thus an opening and a need for such an organization . Another factor is that although the negative complaints naturally draw the most attention , it is my belief that most are at least satisfied enough with what the AMA is doing/has done as to not "throw the baby out with the bathwater" as it were . Sure , no man made thing is ever perfect , there is room for improvement in anything we create , AMA included , but in general it serves the need it was created for effectively and I can't see where a second organization would have had any different outcome , FAA wise for instance . Then there is the trend of declining club membership of all kinds of clubs , beyond the model aircraft world . Do you know that membership in the stamp collector's version of the AMA , the "American Philatelic Society" peaked around 1990 at around 57K members and has declined today to right around 31K members , an almost 50% drop ! Other organizations seem to be in similar situations and I believe this has more to do with people than it has to do with the organizations themselves . Oh , and , BTW , No one I know of has received any invites into any super secret CBO , myself included . I did hear of some "don't fly stupid" CBO but I thought that was more on the joke side than an actual real living , breathing CBO .

So there you have it , my thoughts on why there is no "second" AMA ....
Thanks for your comments.

I agree the Dont Fly Stupid CBO is more of a spoof than anything. I will say it's well done satire for the most part. I think the economics of another organization don't look appealing enough right now, although back with the SFA was started I think there were less people in the AMA than there are now. In this day of Go Fund Me requests that garner $50,000 in funds for potato salad, I would have thought someone might have given it a shot. As for declining memberships in other things, ya, I guess that is true. So many other groups and things going on now to get folks attention. I'm guessing the Pokemon clubs are ballooning to incredibly high numbers right now. Come to think of it perhaps we should bury some or create some figures (clearly I have no idea how this stuff works) and draw some traffic to our fields.