RCU Forums - View Single Post - I guess this FPV drone racing fad is becoming mainstream with large Pro Sports owners
Old 09-15-2016, 08:42 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
If discovery can figure out how to make a drama around people on fishing boats and get millions to watch, then the same could be done for r/c aviation. No one has taken the time to do it.
Don't forget, RC robots had their chance on network TV. How did that end up? Where are they now? Just because a show is announced, does not assure it will be a big hit. I am thinking that us dorky, toy airplane-types just do not create the drama that the viewing public wants to see. I guess we will have to wait until this project comes to fruition to see if drone racing will draw the viewership, ratings and sponsorship $$ it needs to support itself. I personally don't see it. It is one of the reasons I believe our hobby doesn't ever seem to grow or decline by any significant numbers; the relatively small manufacturers that make a relatively small living from the relatively small modeling community are the ones who spend the advertising $$ to support the events in order to continue to see the spend from those they support, kinda grassroots and kinda like our local clubs, supported by those who use them, but not by any other real outside source due to there not being any kind of ROI that is needed for a large enterprise.

Regards,

astro