RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Military Wants a Way to Track Drones Flying Over Cities
Old 09-22-2016, 06:58 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a classic Request For Proposal, nothing set in stone. But it is reasonable to expect this "sort" (and I use the term broadly) of project on the horizon. An FPV or autopilot GPS enabled RC aircraft could be used for malicious purposes here and abroad, it's a given at this point. The easier and cheaper multirotor crafts come, the more inexperienced, ill-prepared, or just plain stupid people will get their hands on them.

But realistically, we've faced this in the RC hobby many times before. I drive gas powered 1/5 scale trucks and buggies, and yes it could kill someone. RC boats can launch off and impale. A 1/4 scale Turbine RC jet could set a city block on fire.

With every innovation, in any field, appears a wide array of "possibles" and "probables". The trick with risk management (using a business term for what the defense industry is implying) Is finding out which of the "possibles" are "probable" in a given scenario. This way they can direct the minimal amount of resources to offset that. That's how government and quasi governmental entities weigh cost vs benefit of a program.

And now I'm thoroughly convinced that I don't even remember what this thread was about