RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flew the P-47 Yesterday (Pictures Included)
Old 05-02-2002, 07:09 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flew the P-47 Yesterday (Pictures Included)

Rckfish:

Thanks. For the first takeoff I did not use flaps. I slowly advanced the throttle and gave her a little rudder to keep her tracking straight. The tail came up in about 20 or so feet and I released the rudder and she kept on tracking straight. At about 3/4 she was ready to take to the sky. I gave her slight elevator and she started to gently climb out. Made a wide left climbing turn leveled her off and added to clicks of right trim. That was it, she flew like she was on rails. I used the recommend throws and used high rates on the elevator for take off. After she was trimmed I switched to low rates on the elevator, she is a little pitch sensitive on high rates. I used the following expo settings:
Elevator:
High rates: 35%
low Rates: 25%

Ailerons:
High Rates: 30%
Low Rates: 20%

I tried turns using the rudder and the nose will drop a little but if you use a little elevator and cross control with the ailerons it will perform a flat turn. with the retracts extended she tends to drop the nose a little in a turn but when they are retracted this did not occur. Landing was uneventful. She does tend to float a bit but I did bring her in a little fast (wasn't using flaps on first landing). I need to get a few more flights in before I feel comfortable enough to slow her down on landings. On the second flight some flaps were used on take off and landing. Used about 5 degrees of flaps on take off and about 15 degrees on landing. Next time I fly her I will use a bit more flaps on landing. I used a gentle descending approach, almost flat, and when she touched down she did have any tendency to bounce. I did not experience the typical war bird nose over. In fact, I think it would be hard to nose her over. I had a Kyosho corsair that loved to nose over on take off and landing. All in all, this is a great flying airplane and you should have know trouble with yours.

Here is a picture of her before takeoff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10009_4196.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	6895