RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro Quad-copter How does it yaw?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 08:20 AM
Lone Star Charles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Considering I have a few hours in them....
Thank you for your service.

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Precession is taken into account at the swashplate, the input occurs 90 degrees before the action is needed.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought that you were referencing the rotor blade angle, but apparently you were referencing the rotor disc angle. I agree that precession is dealt with at the swashplate by installing blade control arms that are approximately 90º leading offset to the blade mount. Thanks for the correction.

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
Is precession a significant effect in quad copters with rigidly mounted propellers? I can't see that with fixed pitch props or with the variable pitch props we are considering on the subject in question.
Agreed. I cannot think of any meaningful way that gyroscopic precession has to be dealt with on a quad copter with rigid rotors. ------ Since we are only theorizing here (and since Andy brought it up by throwing in the Chinook), what if the quadcopter was equipped with tilt rotors?

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Dave, you are not taking into account the rotational motion of thrust. Thrust is not just straight down. And since the two rotors turning one direction are creating more thrust than the two rotors turning the other direction there indeed seems to be differential rotational thrust.
I think that Dave did take into account the rotational motion of thrust. He dealt with it separately by discussing the differential pitch (or speed) of the counter rotating blades and the resultant differential torque on the airframe.