RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito's New Engine: FG-90R3
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 08:30 AM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ForcesR
DHC6; that's good information to know when it comes to warranty on an engine not purchased through HH NA distributors. Have you thought about buying the replacement parts from HH and rebuilding the engine yourself? It would be cheaper than spending the $800-$900 that HH wants to do the rebuild?
I did calculate the cost, and the "retail" cost of the parts is nearly the same as what they were going to charge me to rebuild it for me. Pretty much the only salvageable parts are the crank case, push rods/covers, rocker arms, possibly valves and prop hub. Every thing else is scrap. I haven't accounted for exchange rate either. So I am sure it would be at least $900 to purchase all the parts, then at the end of the day I would still be left with a less then perfect engine.... I have spend a lot of Money on that engine, and have no interest in spending more to end up with an engine that still doesn't run properly.

I love Saito, I have had many over the years. So I will chalk this one up to "lesson learnt" (meaning trust reviews, and buy from somewhere that you can get service) and that the 84 is somewhat of a "dud".

From what I have seen, the 90 will have all the Ray English mods and will run properly out of the box and not need any modifications to run as advertised. So after the HUGE amount I have spent on trying to get this 84 to run well I will propabaly start fresh and try the 90. Still on the fence though.