RCU Forums - View Single Post - *** CG Wizard *** by Digitech
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 09:41 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by A7Bldr
Since I have an interest in this product and there is quite a discussion going, I would like to add an opinion.
In full scale applications, which use individual scales such as this product - Leveling the aircraft is critical before taking any readings.
Each (full scale) aircraft has a means of indicating when it is level. It may be a plumb bob hanging in the cabin or inside the tailcone, etc. but we (Technicians) spend a considerable time jacking the aircraft to the level position. My point is, most of our model aircraft don't sit level on their gear, so I would assume shim blocks should be placed under each 'scale' to achieve level.
Personally I would use an incidence meter on the wing to find longitudinal (lengthwise) level.
What am I missing?
Jim
Hi Jim
the best way is still the "finger" method , but as our models grow bigger and bigger the finger method did hurt on many occasions :-).
so we started the use wires and a broomstick to hold the model of the ground , or in advanced mode we would make a couple of hooks to our ceilings.
then came the Pro balancers , 200 dollar metal frame with 2 hinge points. works also.
and at last someone used scales to calculate the balance point.
i found out that all of them worked.!
the nice thing about electronic scales is : the model doesnt break your fingers , doesnt fall from the ceiling or tips over from a metal balancer.
saying that they all have their little issues.
yes the electronics scales need to be on level ground to get more accuracy , and yes ideally they would need to be set strait.
however i tested the wizard in real life and not only on my workbench typing manuals and making pictures.
i found out its pretty accurarate also outside.
when the ground is not level it shows on the scales one side more heavyer then the other.
also wind was a factor.
the thing that scared me the most however , was the actual fuel!.
where everyone is scared about 40 grams more or less , i have seen the CG shift over 25-30mm from its sweet spot.
a difference of 1.2 kilos on the front gear was also no exeption.
when we defueled or refueled then the cg was completely off.

so what is suggest to everyone , weigh your model as if you would come in for landing uat full , tank 1/5 fuel left , use the suggested manufaturers CG for start!.
most of them have a "safe"option so that the model is more nose heavy then should be to ensure that it will fly.
the perfect cg can be found by looking for expericanced Pilots who actually fly them , they should have the CG spot on.
as Daniel and me used the CG wizard a lot in field testing before releasing , we asked a bunch of guys that flew models to check their models on CG and total weight.
we asked them where is your CG now and how much does it weight.
i tell you NO ONE was correct , they all started out with their manufacturer CG and went further backwards , the total weight was also shocking most of the models where up to 2 kilos more then they expected.
finnaly they tended to land "safe"with more then 35% fuel left in their tanks.
so it is safe to say the CG wizard works great , even if your off a little it makes no difference at all.
even if you measure a few mm wrongly about the sensors it doesnt make a big difference.
remember the "finger"method i am sure everyone did this and if you look at a finger the witdh is more then 20mm , and that is what we used to balance our models on! and they still flew.
the CG Wizard is a ideal check tool , where you can spend lots of time moving around your internals until you are happy with the setup.
i would even suggest everyone , when you used the Wizard and flew your model and you did the final tweeks , put it back on the scale and see what did actually changed.
now saying this we welcome all suggestions! , we also learn.
the software now is simple , easy to understand.
i have been following the competition also and the thing that struck me was the complex setup and measurements needed.
a 50 pages long manual , this will scare customers and users away.
there at that point i relalised that a simple mistake will give you lots of problems.
we fixed this by using only 1 entry into the calculation on the application.
this eliminates a lot of mistakes.
e use a nice short manual with pictures and until now it seems everyone knows how to use it , and got good feedback.
also with recomended changes to be done to the app.
so please everyone share your experiances good or bad , Daniel and me did our best to offer you the best solution that is affordable for everyone.
and we are always open for suggestions.
the software now it the first release , changes are comming but we dont want to put out one release every week.
as we continue we are talking also to a few People who would like to be our distributor for the US.
but made no decisions yet , the tool seems to be become more popular , and its hard to keep up manufacturing them.
so we do look for a distributor that can also service them , repair them and help you with any issues.
Thank you all for having a interest in our products.!