RCU Forums - View Single Post - So much for the crickets...
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 05:14 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Okay, just for sake of argument, let me ask you this:
If the powers that be built a site, say in the Portland area, including traditional and/ or indoor quad facilities, would you spend the four or five hours driving from B'ham to that location just to go flying at an AMA run location?
Hydro, the simple answer to your question is, "YES". 2-4 times per year for Regional events, Warbird, Big Bird, Open-house type events I would attend.

I usually travel to and fly at/attend events at Wenatchee 2-4 times/year (life was a little busy this summer, so I did not make it over there as much this year).

My vision of Regional flying sites is not for them to necessarily OWNED AND RUN by the AMA (too much overhead/management = too much $$/bloat), rather, the AMA help acquire and secure 4-6 suitable properties somewhat equally distributed geographically amongst it's membership. The property itself might be owned by the AMA, but leased to a local club at reasonable rates, maybe enough to cover taxes and liability coverage. These flying sites would not be, "run" by the AMA, rather the local club that was chosen to be the caretaker of said site. Of course, there would be SOME oversight by the AMA to ensure said club was doing their due diligence to maintain and uphold the AMA mission, as well as being good stewards of the AMA property.

I believe that this would be a sustainable way to grow and strengthen the AMA. Start with 6 regional sites. If each of them held just ONE regional event a month (let's conservatively estimate average flying season of six months), that would be 36 additional events/opportunities to expose the AMA to the general public as well as allowing those that do not have access to larger events due to the distance needed to travel to such events (i.e., Muncie, IN). These regional sites would also be "leader" type clubs, providing an opportunity to train, coach and groom members who are interested to become officers, AVP's and eventually, EC or EB members. Once the initial 6 regional sites are developed and operating, more sites could be added as necessary (or as funds were available) in order that each AMA region would have such a site that could serve as a "regional headquarters" allowing for a much more organized and effective organization that was able to effectively communicate and receive feedback more directly from its membership.

I haven't thought out every detail, nor do I believe that this is the ONLY solution, just one way that this AMA member thinks would be a step in the right direction to bring unity to our collective organization in order that it more effectively serves its members wishes, thus becoming stronger, rather than the divided group we seem to be becoming.

Again, just ONE suggestion/idea from ONE long-time AMA member that is passionate about the hobby who believes our organization is shrinking, losing relevance and not listening to its membership as much as it should.

I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time! I wish I had more time to expound here, but I gotta go earn some $$ so I can keep flying!

Regards,

Astro