Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

So much for the crickets...

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

So much for the crickets...

Old 09-15-2017, 06:58 PM
  #1  
astrohog
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,634
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So much for the crickets...

HE'S BACK! LOL

I just posted in a thread over at FG that was about AMA EVP candidate Randy Cameron. Yup, it didn't take long for Porcia to jump all over my post! Then, LO and behold, just like old times, Chris P. Bacon chimes in, with a BRAND NEW account and ONE post! HMMM....

LOL. Some things never change!

Astro
Old 09-17-2017, 12:23 AM
  #2  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 9,560
Likes: 0
Received 86 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

FG? Which forum is that?
Old 09-17-2017, 04:52 AM
  #3  
astrohog
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,634
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
FG? Which forum is that?
Flying Giants
Old 09-17-2017, 06:04 AM
  #4  
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)
 
flyinwalenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northeast, PA
Posts: 3,975
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

His alter ego ?

All that time off and he still didn't learn anything ?

I wonder how long FG will put up with it?
Old 09-17-2017, 11:46 AM
  #5  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,882
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Oh I'm sure they're both here too , just under different user names . Too bad , to see guys who are obviously interested in RC flying , that seemed more interested in arguing about whether the Sun is yellow or orange than to bring any real difference of opinion to the table . It would appear once again that this AMA election is pitting the "traditionalist" flying (Lawrence Tougas) against the "anything goes" flying (Randy Cameron) direction the AMA should take and the results of this election will be an interesting view into the thoughts of the members (who bother to take the time to vote) . I believe the question of the indoor site as posed by Astro is a very valid question indeed , why shouldn't such a site be built on either (or both !) coasts so the maximum numbers of AMA members could have access to one or the other "national flying site" ( One on each coast + Muncie for the middle of the country should do nicely) .
Old 09-18-2017, 07:32 AM
  #6  
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)
 
RCKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lawton, OK
Posts: 27,396
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

I don't post here because I want to keep a neutral position on anything going here so that when I do have to take moderator actions I can't be blamed to be moderating to backup my viewpoint. However, I will post here on subjects such at this that involve members. I agree with others that the forum is markedly quieter with Porcia83 and Chris P. Bacon not here now. Both of those members were given ample chances to correct their actions before they were banned, yet they choose to continue with their actions and that resulted in them being banned. When members as dynamic as Porcia and Chris P. get banned I start watching the forums for them to return under a new username. So far I haven't seen them return. To be honest I am totally shocked that at least Porcia hasn't tried to come back considering all the waves he would create in this forum. One thing I do have in my favor is that when members such as Porcia and Chris P. try to come back into the forums a lot of times it will be the members that actually spot their return and then notify me they are back. Considering how active those two were in this forum I doubt either one of them could return with a new username and then simply lay silent and not post. I guess since they have returned over on Flying Giants they make a return here. However, neither one will be granted renewed access to RCU and if they are discovered they will be banned again.

I know that they caused huge waves here in the forums and that the forums were more active when they were here. However, that will not be enough to get them back into RCU. They have both burned their bridges here and will not be allowed back. Even if it meant that there were no more posts here in the AMA Forum they will still stay banned.

Ken
Old 09-18-2017, 06:33 PM
  #7  
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)
 
flyinwalenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northeast, PA
Posts: 3,975
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Oh I'm sure they're both here too , just under different user names . Too bad , to see guys who are obviously interested in RC flying , that seemed more interested in arguing about whether the Sun is yellow or orange than to bring any real difference of opinion to the table . It would appear once again that this AMA election is pitting the "traditionalist" flying (Lawrence Tougas) against the "anything goes" flying (Randy Cameron) direction the AMA should take and the results of this election will be an interesting view into the thoughts of the members (who bother to take the time to vote) . I believe the question of the indoor site as posed by Astro is a very valid question indeed , why shouldn't such a site be built on either (or both !) coasts so the maximum numbers of AMA members could have access to one or the other "national flying site" ( One on each coast + Muncie for the middle of the country should do nicely) .
I have to agree with the indoor site and I disagree with p83's remark about redistribution of wealth.
If the AMA is not in the best financial shape why spend money on an indoor facility where only a small percentage of members can use it? Give out more field improvement money to clubs that really need it.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:38 PM
  #8  
astrohog
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,634
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

This is not the only forum he (they) have been banned from. It is just a matter of time before they feel they have some "cred" on the other forum and step out of line, only to be banned over there as well. Now that I know he is nothing more than a troll, I will choose to completely ignore him over there for the sake and sanity of that forum.

I tried really hard for a long time to try and have productive conversations and debates with him here (as I really do believe that is what this forum is for), but he just could not acquiesce when the facts were presented, especially if they contradicted his opinions. At first I thought it was too bad, because I really enjoy engaging in discussions, especially where they may be helpful in informing others of the issues, or even just to provoke deeper thoughts and understanding on my part. Heck, I am the first to admit if and when I do not have the facts, that is why we all share here; to learn from others and freely share the unique expertise and experience that each of us has accumulated. It didn't take too long to understand that he had an agenda and would drive that agenda at any cost.

It really is too bad as I do see our hobby declining, and the last thing we need is to fight/argue amongst ourselves. If all the energy used going back and forth were used to compromise for the common good, something positive may actually come of it.

Ken, I know we have had our moments, but I appreciate your comments here as well as the job you do (even if I don't always agree with you! ) as I can only imagine how stressful and thankless it must be at times! I don't necessarily see the lack of activity in this forum as good or bad, but more an accurate snapshot of the apathy that exists amongst the majority of the AMA membership. Just because there was more activity when Porcia and his alter-ego Crispy were here, doesn't mean that they brought value to the forum. Quality, not quantity!

Regards,

Astro
Old 09-18-2017, 06:49 PM
  #9  
astrohog
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,634
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
I have to agree with the indoor site and I disagree with p83's remark about redistribution of wealth.
If the AMA is not in the best financial shape why spend money on an indoor facility where only a small percentage of members can use it? Give out more field improvement money to clubs that really need it.
I think I have read where the cost just to purchase the proposed indoor site is $1M? That is a ludicrous amount of money considering the current financial status of the AMA, yet they shrug it off and justify it as not coming from the general fund? If they have the ability to raise (or already have) $1M, I can think of a dozen different ways it could be better spent to serve a greater majority of the membership than on an indoor flying site in Muncie!!

The amount of money they give to clubs for improvements, land acquisition and scholarships is a mere pittance in comparison.

Regards,

Astro
Old 09-18-2017, 10:30 PM
  #10  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 9,560
Likes: 0
Received 86 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
I think I have read where the cost just to purchase the proposed indoor site is $1M? That is a ludicrous amount of money considering the current financial status of the AMA, yet they shrug it off and justify it as not coming from the general fund? If they have the ability to raise (or already have) $1M, I can think of a dozen different ways it could be better spent to serve a greater majority of the membership than on an indoor flying site in Muncie!!

The amount of money they give to clubs for improvements, land acquisition and scholarships is a mere pittance in comparison.

Regards,

Astro
Okay, just for sake of argument, let me ask you this:
If the powers that be built a site, say in the Portland area, including traditional and/ or indoor quad facilities, would you spend the four or five hours driving from B'ham to that location just to go flying at an AMA run location?
Old 09-19-2017, 03:18 AM
  #11  
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)
 
flyinwalenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northeast, PA
Posts: 3,975
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The argument is not really where they build it but WHY are they spending the money to build it and operate it? Especially after a substantial dues increase was made and the membership is supposedly declining.

I'd love an indoor flying area but they are very expensive to run and maintain. We had a large one near me for a few years but it was very expensive to host events. At first the fee to fly was around $10.00/person and a lot of people attended each event and it was a blast. Heating costs were killer so they increased the fee to $20.00 and attendance dropped by 50% and then $25.00 until there were less and less attending. The costs to light and heat the facility were barely being covered and eventually they pulled the plug on it.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:14 AM
  #12  
astrohog
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,634
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Okay, just for sake of argument, let me ask you this:
If the powers that be built a site, say in the Portland area, including traditional and/ or indoor quad facilities, would you spend the four or five hours driving from B'ham to that location just to go flying at an AMA run location?
Hydro, the simple answer to your question is, "YES". 2-4 times per year for Regional events, Warbird, Big Bird, Open-house type events I would attend.

I usually travel to and fly at/attend events at Wenatchee 2-4 times/year (life was a little busy this summer, so I did not make it over there as much this year).

My vision of Regional flying sites is not for them to necessarily OWNED AND RUN by the AMA (too much overhead/management = too much $$/bloat), rather, the AMA help acquire and secure 4-6 suitable properties somewhat equally distributed geographically amongst it's membership. The property itself might be owned by the AMA, but leased to a local club at reasonable rates, maybe enough to cover taxes and liability coverage. These flying sites would not be, "run" by the AMA, rather the local club that was chosen to be the caretaker of said site. Of course, there would be SOME oversight by the AMA to ensure said club was doing their due diligence to maintain and uphold the AMA mission, as well as being good stewards of the AMA property.

I believe that this would be a sustainable way to grow and strengthen the AMA. Start with 6 regional sites. If each of them held just ONE regional event a month (let's conservatively estimate average flying season of six months), that would be 36 additional events/opportunities to expose the AMA to the general public as well as allowing those that do not have access to larger events due to the distance needed to travel to such events (i.e., Muncie, IN). These regional sites would also be "leader" type clubs, providing an opportunity to train, coach and groom members who are interested to become officers, AVP's and eventually, EC or EB members. Once the initial 6 regional sites are developed and operating, more sites could be added as necessary (or as funds were available) in order that each AMA region would have such a site that could serve as a "regional headquarters" allowing for a much more organized and effective organization that was able to effectively communicate and receive feedback more directly from its membership.

I haven't thought out every detail, nor do I believe that this is the ONLY solution, just one way that this AMA member thinks would be a step in the right direction to bring unity to our collective organization in order that it more effectively serves its members wishes, thus becoming stronger, rather than the divided group we seem to be becoming.

Again, just ONE suggestion/idea from ONE long-time AMA member that is passionate about the hobby who believes our organization is shrinking, losing relevance and not listening to its membership as much as it should.

I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time! I wish I had more time to expound here, but I gotta go earn some $$ so I can keep flying!

Regards,

Astro
Old 09-19-2017, 05:19 AM
  #13  
astrohog
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,634
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
The argument is not really where they build it but WHY are they spending the money to build it and operate it? Especially after a substantial dues increase was made and the membership is supposedly declining.

I'd love an indoor flying area but they are very expensive to run and maintain. We had a large one near me for a few years but it was very expensive to host events. At first the fee to fly was around $10.00/person and a lot of people attended each event and it was a blast. Heating costs were killer so they increased the fee to $20.00 and attendance dropped by 50% and then $25.00 until there were less and less attending. The costs to light and heat the facility were barely being covered and eventually they pulled the plug on it.
I believe you are spot-on! As much as it would be neat to have indoor flying facilities (especially for those of us in the Northern climates who have a limited flying season), there is a reason that there are virtually no (as far as I am aware) dedicated indoor flying sites that have been operational for any length of time. My experience is that they come and go because the numbers/support simply do not add up over time.

Because of that, I feel it is a very irresponsible use of AMA dollars.

Regards,

Astro
Old 09-19-2017, 09:02 AM
  #14  
Psychron
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
I believe you are spot-on! As much as it would be neat to have indoor flying facilities (especially for those of us in the Northern climates who have a limited flying season), there is a reason that there are virtually no (as far as I am aware) dedicated indoor flying sites that have been operational for any length of time. My experience is that they come and go because the numbers/support simply do not add up over time.

Because of that, I feel it is a very irresponsible use of AMA dollars.

Regards,

Astro
I'm a member of the Remote Control Club of Detroit. We fly out of Wetzel state park. During the winter months we have the ability to fly indoors at a soccer arena, which is probably the only cost effective way to have an indoor flying hangar. Those soccer families pay through the nose to play there and have their tournaments etc. Anything we're paying them is a pittance in comparison.

The big issue with the indoor flying is that it's 40+ miles away from the field we fly at normally, and then it's only one or two days a week from noon to three, which is great for the retired/unemployed but unfortunately not me. unless I quit my job.. Is my wife around? lol

Also, there's no discount for buying the whole seasons worth of flying there. It's really sad honestly. The only way to keep something like that going is to make part of the building a hobby shop. Just like the guys that mostly focus on cars, I have seen a few of those shops thriving and expanding because they include an indoor track.Might be a good business idea for umx and mini quad guys.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:57 AM
  #15  
astrohog
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,634
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
His alter ego ?

All that time off and he still didn't learn anything ?

I wonder how long FG will put up with it?
well he lasted a grand total of what, a couple of weeks at best?
Crispy was banned over there as of this morning. I suspect Porcia will lay low as he doesn't have many forums left to go to.

Astro
Old 10-06-2017, 03:29 PM
  #16  
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)
 
flyinwalenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northeast, PA
Posts: 3,975
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I still think both of them are Tom !
Old 10-06-2017, 03:44 PM
  #17  
astrohog
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,634
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
I still think both of them are Tom !
Old 10-06-2017, 05:25 PM
  #18  
Psychron
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Not to switch gears on this but I just got my lifetime membership AMA card in the mail. It's a beautiful golden colored engraved metal card.

And a hole in my bank account $1500.00 deep... I'd like my dome privileges please.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:26 PM
  #19  
astrohog
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,634
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Psychron View Post
Not to switch gears on this but I just got my lifetime membership AMA card in the mail. It's a beautiful golden colored engraved metal card.

And a hole in my bank account $1500.00 deep... I'd like my dome privileges please.
Only $998,500.00 to go......HAHA!

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-07-2017, 02:53 AM
  #20  
Psychron
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
Only $998,500.00 to go......HAHA!

Regards,

Astro
LMAO! oh my friend, let me tell you how much i wish that were true
Old 10-09-2017, 12:00 PM
  #21  
Stickslammer
 
Stickslammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Congrats on your lifetime membership! On the other subject, I can`t imagine getting myself banned from any kind of forum, let alone one that is just for model hobbyists.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:21 PM
  #22  
Psychron
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stickslammer View Post
Congrats on your lifetime membership! On the other subject, I can`t imagine getting myself banned from any kind of forum, let alone one that is just for model hobbyists.
Thanks. I like the shiny gold stuff. Umm... Re getting banned.. well.. I suppose it depends on the circumstances. I could mention a site starting in RC that makes it very easy to get banned what with the tattle tale system they have in place.

But I won't.... because I'm a gentleman.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:51 PM
  #23  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 9,560
Likes: 0
Received 86 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

Getting banned isn't all that hard, as said above, on some sites. One foul word and you're gone. Others, such as this one, seem to have serious patience with members and only ban people as a last resort. I guess I can say I've been a recipient of that patience since, a few years back, me and a couple of others really got into it in a couple of threads. Since I'm still here and I don't see them any more, either I got lucky or they didn't or ??????
Old 10-10-2017, 02:37 PM
  #24  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,882
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
...... I guess I can say I've been a recipient of that patience since, a few years back, me and a couple of others really got into it in a couple of threads. Since I'm still here and I don't see them any more, either I got lucky or they didn't or ??????
I really do believe the reason is that the mods here , especially RC Ken , have a great sense for determining whose doing the actual instigating that gets the threads snarled up . He speaks with folks and gives them the chance to knock off the antagonizing behavior , those that "see the light" remain and those that keep on with the baiting for a fight get the ban hammer .
Old 10-10-2017, 05:20 PM
  #25  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 9,560
Likes: 0
Received 86 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

In my case, it was in the boating forum, had a southerner get bent out of shape over similar boats we were building in one case. The second was a pair of midwestern "EXPERT BOATERS" that didn't have a clue start giving bad advice and got all bent out of shape over me calling them on it. For some reason, they felt their <2 years of experience trumped my 30+ years experience, even though I was able to explain the what's, why's and how's that they couldn't figure out or understand when it comes to building and setting up a boat. Funny thing is that most of what makes a plane work are the same things that make a boat work.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.