RCU Forums - View Single Post - Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!
Old 01-20-2018, 09:14 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kdunlap
Well, 2 1/2 years later my Tipo + from RCAIIR is just about done. I have about another 3-4 evenings to finish installing the rest of the servos and the engine. It will fly as soon as the snow is gone up here in W. PA. I do though need some advice from my pattern friends. When i first bought the kit my plan was to put a Nova Rossi 61 Speed/13 on it. Well, having done a bit of research in the interim, I decided that was probably not the best motor for the plane. So then I bought a Nova Rossi R61F to pull an 11x9 prop. Then I thought more and bought a YS91 to swing a 13-14 in prop. I am probably over thinking this. Anybody here have an opinion? The bolt pattern is the same.. Airplane with everything but the motor weighs 8lb 13 oz... Thanks for the advice.
I built one of those years ago....
The engine choice sort of depends on what style of flying you intend to do with it.
This airplane wants to be flown fast so the Speed 13 RE or the R61F RE is the engine to use.
Use the RE with the pipe down the side of the fuselage....initial installation is easy and it works great.
Definitely not a YS 91.
You COULD use a side exhaust with pipe down the belly but then you would have to install and remove the pipe for each flying session when you attach/remove the wing.
I would not use a SE with a muffler on this airplane.

Last edited by Dave Harmon; 01-20-2018 at 09:17 PM.