RCU Forums - View Single Post - Caressa by Bryan Hebert of CK Aero
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 04:27 PM
Smooth Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grotow
Just received my Caressa today. Surprised that there are no servo cut outs for elevator servos or control horn slots. Can you speak to elevator servo installation and pull-pull installation? Thanks.
Sure, put your servo case on the wing or stabilizer in the proper position and scribe around it with a #11 blade. Get the servo out of the way and carefully cut into the composite with a very sharp (new) blade. Trim the edges as necessary so the servo drops in smoothly. Cut out a piece of 1/8-inch lite ply in the same manner leaving about a 1/4 to 3/16-inch flange on the ends and a 1/8-flange on the sides forming a servo tray. Put the servo tray inside the wing or stabilizer hole and hold in place while using some CA to glue it in so it doesn't move around when you put the servo in it. I normally use a 1/16-inch drill bit to drill through the servo mounting hole (by hand using a needle vise). after the first hole is drilled I install a servo screw and then move on the second hole on the opposite end of the servo, hand drill that, install screw and so on until all four screws are mounted. It helps to locate the servo if you have the push rod on the servo so you match the servo with the control horn on the surface of the aileron or elevator so every thing is aligned properly.

There are a couple of photos (message 19) on page 1 that can help with locations. Be advised that the factory may have missed the alignment between the servos and the control horn block slightly in the ailerons and you may have to cut a square in the ailerons and fill in the space with some hard balsa to get a good slot for the control horns.

When did you get the Caressa? I did not know that Bryan got a shipment in.

Sheldon

Last edited by Smooth Pilot; 01-24-2018 at 04:30 PM.