RCU Forums - View Single Post - A Good Snap Roll
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 04:17 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flywilly
Hi Jim,
In all seriousness, is there any way to use telemetry data for programming reference which I guess would be a form of reverse engineering? Maybe not acceptable for competitive pattern flying, but an interesting exercise at the very least.
As far as elitist governing bodies... there are so many to choose from :-)
-Will
For sure telemetering data can provide feedback that can help you improve your competitive pattern flying. GPS is probably number one. It can tell you if you are flying parallel to the runway and at the right distance out and if you are going out of the box. It can call out your heading every few seconds. Some of the new stabilizers can record your roll and pitch attitudes so you can see what the plane should look like when it is flying level and if you are really doing it. Just looking at your stick commands can tell you a lot about how well you are doing various maneuvers like point rolls where you want perfect rhythm. Equal time on each point. Straight and level entries and exits. Straight lines on verticals and 45 degree lines. I don't know how this can help programming your radio but the capability is available to allow telemetering outputs to command inputs to the controls.

Just knowing what the plane should look like when it is doing a maneuver properly is important to improving your flying skills.

As far as cheating, I wouldn't worry about the old guys who always complain and think we should go back to 1960s technology.

Jim