RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dumas Chris Craft help!
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What actually happened is I picked up the hull many years ago at an estate sale. It's not legal for the 6M class since there is no Manufacturer info inside the hull and that class basically is non-existent here in the US. So I've been building it as I would like a real one. Super long project with maybe 10 years of on and off work so far. 10 years interrupted by career, health issues, retiring and moving to another state. I have what I need to complete it I just have to get off my duff and do it.

The cabin and dog house are my own design based on looking at many, many pictures. Sail plan and all is also my own. 75 inch carbon mast and over 2000 square inches of sail.

The deck planks sit on an underlayment consisting of 1/32 ply topped with 3 ounce glass and finishing resin. And of course there's framing under that. The dowel pins you see in the mahogany trim are functional. Did a pilot hole down the strip of wood. Then did a temporary attachment to the hull while I used the pilots in the wood to guide a pilot in the top of the hull. Then I epoxied things down using the dowel pins and clamps to hold it all in place. Gave it 3 days to set. Then went to work on the deck White Oak planks. The Oak is nice once finished but a bear to deal with. It does not want to bend. And once I had all the planks down, I spent 3 days with an orbital sander making everything smooth as silk. Not sure I have enough years left to do a bigger boat.

Anyway, I hope the OP is encouraged by all this. Simply put, quality work takes time. But it is worth it. I smile with pride every time I look at this boat.

Last edited by Appowner; 08-27-2018 at 02:57 PM.