RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite
Old 09-16-2018, 04:18 AM
dccatl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I got my maiden done yesterday plus 2 additional flights. All flights went fine without any issues. I balanced using the factory wire tool with the plane just starting to tip tail heavy on the rig, that is, when I lifted the plane by the wires it would initially hang level and then after a second or so would slowly tip toward the tail. This was done with a full UAT and about 1" of fuel in the main tank, smoke tank and pump installed but not plumbed or connected yet. Engine is a K210. Plane needed minimal up trim probably about 1mm at neutral. Inverted 45 degree up-line required some down as DHC6 reports. Knife edge performance seems perfect with no coupling and moderate speed and rudder. My stall experience was a little more abrupt than DHC6 reports but I also have about 7-8mm of crow with my flaps, this is my first "larger" jet and I was a little apprehensive with my throttle due to the large engine so I didn't recognize exactly when I got too slow, but all testing was done at a sufficient altitude to allow recovery so no problems in the end. Obviously the K210 is plenty of thrust for this plane, but I was conscious of the extra power and never opened it up, max speed for the day was about 160 mph, I'll further explore it's performance in later flights. Landings were fine, residual thrust is not an issue, it is able to slow sufficiently and flare to give nose up "wheelie" touchdowns with a little elevator management. Overall, I'm pleased with the aircraft, I think I'll keep the C/G as is and I look forward to more flights to get used to how it flies.

I'll report back next week after some more flights, hopefully with some photos and videos as well.