RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/6 F-105 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 07:57 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the AMA Info. I used that diagram to design the canards and servo system on my Sabre XLT jet a few years ago but forgot about it.

Here’s what it says: The pivot point for the control surface can be determined using the diagram below as long as the pivot point is ahead of the 25% Mean Aerodynamic Chord (MAC) point by 2%-4%.

So that’s a pivot point at 21-23% MAC. Which is better, Is that really valid, and where does the info come from other than AMA LMA document?

Thanks,
Gary
Honestly i have no idea where those figures come from. Oli Nichols was doing some really well done subject matter a few years back on servo selection, linkage geometry, etc, but stopped. He would be a good source to turn to for advice.

Im in the same boat currently as i finish the Cad design and plug construction of a large T38, so whatever info you come up with, i’d be grateful to hear as well.
I currently used the Lma info and split the difference of the position range at 22% mac. I may 3D print a stab and some contraption to hang it out a car window just to see what it does. Haha