RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/6 F-105 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 331 Likes on 218 Posts

Last is the stab airfoil. I asked Oli at Ultimate Jets (who has been very kind to provide me with educated advice and guidance on design and materials when I asked) about where the AMA recommendations came from and on what data were they based. He advised that the AMA recommendations would work well with an airfoil like a pure NACA 0009 where the center of pressure would be closer to the pivot point and would not move much with with changes in AOA

Oli helped me compare my stab airfoil with the NACA 0009 below and the stab airfoil is much fatter behind the pivot than it needs to be and the leading edge is more blunt and rounded. All this put the stability point and center of pressure way behind the pivot point. Oli also expressed concern with the small size and material of the pivot pin. In his opinion is the stab would fail and I should focus on making a stab with the proper airfoil, pivot point, and materials.

Ok sounds like good advice from a very smart engineer so I am now planning on rebuilding the stabs and linkage system.

One bite at at time....

Stab airfoil and leading edge deviates quite a lot from proper airfoil, pivot pin in wrong location, and pivot pin too small for the loads

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 10-08-2018 at 05:42 PM.