RCU Forums - View Single Post - Byron F-16 build thread
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 09:31 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Byron F-16 build thread

Hello all,
Yes, that is correct, this is a build thread for a Byron F-16 Ducted fan model. Before we get too far into this I'd like you to understand this is a retro build project. So before we go off on tangents such as converting to EDF or Turbine, I'd like to get that out in the open. When I was a young lad growing up and impressionable, these models were the height of technology and my dreams back then, but I didn't have the resources, experience or guidance to properly follow a project like that through then. Today, I believe we are living in a golden age. Few people are building and all the kit collectors seem to be liquidating there stock. Over time in the past few years I collected (on E bay) a totally unmolested Byron F-16 kit NIB, Byron Ducted fan unit, OS 91 large head NIB and pipe. Before Spring air went out of business last year I acquired a new retract kit from them for this kit. I've had it all on the shelf for a little over a year and now I have a clean workbench, not much money to spend on a new project and the entire winter coming up. It's a perfect storm of events to embark on this journey now.

I did something similar a few years ago - if you are from that era you may recall Dick Sarpolus and Bob Kress I built and flew a version of there Mini-F 16 located here:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-...ideration.html

It appears after taking inventory that I am only missing the accessory bag in the kit for the retracts and the starter wand. I'm sure if I can't find them I can make something to replace those. As far as electronics - I'll use my current equipment. I'll put my Jeti DC24 with some telemetry (airspeed / RPM) in it.

To regress for a moment, the thought of converting this to a turbine, after initially dismissing it as ridiculous, did come back across my mind. This model always had a good reputation as a good flier if not under powered, and if I can snag another kit for $600 it's a heck of alot cheaper then $2K for a Comp ARF....
And EDF I dismissed. There are ton of great flying EDF kits out there I would just go ahead and purchase. It makes no sense to me to bash this kit to convert it to EDF.

For background I am an IMAC pilot for more than 10 years now and have a strong interest in old turn around pattern planes (Glow and pipe). I'm sure a turbine is in my near future.

This is a nostalgic trip down memory lane for me and if there is much interest past this point I'll keep posting updates and pictures and you all are more than welcome to come along. The Mini F-16 build was very satisfying and while it's flying performance was not all that great (which I expected), I expect much more from this project.

Here is some Eye candy....

Regards,
Rick

Where the kit sat for a year on the shelf contemplating life...

Slightly out of order, sorry. This is the day the kit arrived on my doorstop after purchasing from E-bay.