RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/6 F-105 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 04:01 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 332 Likes on 219 Posts

Mounted main landing gear to the gear rails.

First I replaced 2 hex head bolts with counter sunk flat head bolts to make more clearance for the tire in gear well

Drilled left wing mounts and laminated the 3/32" ply spacers on to rails

Drilled right wing mounts for 6-32 bolts

I could not get the blind nuts into the maple beam mounts and I did not want to drill an oversize hole in the mounts so I sunk the blind nuts into 1/8" ply squares

Blind nuts epoxied to bottom of gear mount rails. I use vaseline on bolt threads to keep epoxy from locking bolts in.

Aluminum gear mounts countersunk and gear installed with flat head bolts to give clearance for gear door cover.

Same of left side

Main gear mounted

Gear folds into wells with very little clearance around tires. Will have to see how it works with doors.

Next stop...gear doors, which IMO are the worst thing about RC jets. I don't like them, try to avoid them if possible, but on this jet they are necessary. How to do them is TBD but I have some good photos from Phil Clark at Fighteraces in the UK.

This ends work this week. The shop is being taken over for the granddaughters 9th birthday party. 15 kids are going to have a craft painting party and games. I'll try to hide RC stuff in the camper as much as possible. This will be a challenging weekend!

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 12-14-2018 at 02:13 PM.