RCU Forums - View Single Post - JAE history
Thread: JAE history
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 03:11 PM
4X4FABGUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rod, I just wanted to say thanks for posting those plans! Way back in the day I wanted a rigger SO bad. Mid 1990s. Had never even see one in person, but I knew they were the fastest of the RC boats. I searched all over the net looking for plans I could use. I found nothing I could really use. I was a car guy and ran .12 nitro trucks. They were just starting to get popular then. I had several spare .12 engines around and ended up putting one in an old electric Kyosho viper. I went pretty good. I made my own super adjustable hardware set since I had no idea how to set it up. Anyway the success of that project sparked my interest for a .12 rigger. I finished this one by looking at rigger pics in RC Boat modeler. I read every rigger article, looked closely at every pic and tried to unlock the mystery of outriggers. RC boat modeler was my only source of knowledge back then. None of my friends ran boats and there were no clubs or races in my area. I figured how to build sponsons by looking at others being constructed. Also made all the hardware on this one. I had no idea if it would work but it did! Very well. I have been running it for many years.

Then you posted the plans. If I recall correctly it was still a jap back then. I looked at your plans and thought, how could square edges work on sponsons? No non trip angle? That will never work! Or so I thought. So I set out to build a test boat to see how they would work. I did not follow your plans exactly since mine was going to be smaller and electric. I followed everything else I could from your plan, angles, cg location, etc. Long story short, you inspired this little rigger. It ran so well! I could not believe how well it ran and turned! This boat was SO FUN! Thank you VERY MUCH! I enjoyed it for a long time then passed it on. It changed hands several times and everybody really liked it before it met it's fate. Soon I hope to build another one with a UL-1 setup inside. I never did take video of it when I owned it, but one of the past owners did. It was faster when I owned it but I did not give up my props that I spent hours tweaking for it. Sent it of with a stock SBP 430 Octura. It was 17 inches long. Thanks again Rod!