RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA EC Key Measures of Performance - Last 15yrs
Old 02-17-2019, 04:12 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Maybe in the clubs you fly at but I'd be willing to bet that most don't fly for competitive reasons but, rather, just for the fun of flying. I build boats and planes because I like to build. I race boats, not so much for the competition as much as for the fun of running in a competitive environment. Back in 2014, I went to a race where my boat showed that it had serious handling issues that prevented me from trying to really compete with the others that were there just to try and win. I qualified for the second consolation heat where I finished dead last. Did I care that I was last? NO, I DIDN'T. I was there for the fun of the event, not to show how fast my boat was or that I had something to prove. I finished my heats, earned some points and took my boat home in one piece. To me, that was a successful day.

I would agree that most don't fly nor care about competition. I would however think that everyone wants to reach the top of the skill level that they are capable of. During that time of climbing the ladder so to speak the flying itself is more enjoyable. At this point I use competition as only a gauge to see if my flying is still improving and more importantly at this stage in my life, are my design and engineering efforts up to the level I want.

To adress Franklin, Nobody " Needs " any of this. Flying in a club setting and socializing with others is how I " prefer " to enjoy my hobby. To take a similar tone to yours: How I enjoy my hobby is my business. That being said, I am concerned about the direction AMA is headed. I do also think they will survive. Although I have said this before and you placed no value on it, I have a bit more perspective on the situation then what you have. Being in the hobby for 40+ years, a good amount of those years being in the industry. I have seen the hobby decline and rebound, I have seen new aspects of the hobby initially be shunned and then accepted. I have seen a government agancy pose a challenge to the hobby and seen the AMA step in and make us a path. I have seen and heard guys such as yourself stand up and predict that the sky will fall. AMA and thousands of modelers have weathered those storms the same as we will weather this one.