RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA EC Key Measures of Performance - Last 15yrs
Old 02-17-2019, 05:36 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie

I would agree that most don't fly nor care about competition. I would however think that everyone wants to reach the top of the skill level that they are capable of. During that time of climbing the ladder so to speak the flying itself is more enjoyable. At this point I use competition as only a gauge to see if my flying is still improving and more importantly at this stage in my life, are my design and engineering efforts up to the level I want.

To adress Franklin, Nobody " Needs " any of this. Flying in a club setting and socializing with others is how I " prefer " to enjoy my hobby. To take a similar tone to yours: How I enjoy my hobby is my business. That being said, I am concerned about the direction AMA is headed. I do also think they will survive. Although I have said this before and you placed no value on it, I have a bit more perspective on the situation then what you have. Being in the hobby for 40+ years, a good amount of those years being in the industry. I have seen the hobby decline and rebound, I have seen new aspects of the hobby initially be shunned and then accepted. I have seen a government agancy pose a challenge to the hobby and seen the AMA step in and make us a path. I have seen and heard guys such as yourself stand up and predict that the sky will fall. AMA and thousands of modelers have weathered those storms the same as we will weather this one.
I never said you can't enjoy it for the social aspects. I guess that would put you in the "need" category, perhaps another type of "need," but "need" none the less. And there's no problem with that. You have your reasons.

Regardless. I want to move to something you said later. Namely that you've been in the hobby for 40 years and that you have "seen the hobby decline and rebound." Well, I don't have data going back 40 years, but have data going back 20, and I don't see anything more than constant decline punctuated by short rebounds (ironically just in the years they raise dues). So I'm wondering ... where are these declines and rebounds of which you speak? Or is it really just a constant state of decline after all? The numbers would sure indicate that.